Kolkata to host opening Test between India and Sri Lanka

first_imgMUMBAI, India (Reuters) – Kolkata’s Eden Gardens will be the venue for the opening Test when India host Sri Lanka in a full series starting next month, the country’s cricket board (BCCI) has announced.India blanked Sri Lanka 9-0 across all three formats on their tour there earlier this year.The first Test starts from November 16 while Nagpur and Delhi will host the second and third Tests respectively before the sides play three one-day internationals and a similar number of Twenty20 internationals.FixturesNovember 16-20 – First Test, KolkataNovember 24-28 – Second Test, NagpurDecember 2-6 – Third Test, DelhiDecember 10 – First ODI, DharamsalaDecember 13 – Second ODI, MohaliDecember 17 – Third ODI, VisakhapatnamDecember 20 – First T20, CuttackDecember22 – Second T20, IndoreDecember 24 – Third T20, Mumbailast_img read more

Read More →

Today’s Local GAA Fixtures

first_imgThere’s other action from around the county this afternoon;St. Marys face Skeheenarinky/Newcastle in Group 1 of the South U21A Hurling Championship.Throw-in at Goatenbridge is at 12:00.At the same time Ballingarry hosts a North U21 B Football Semi-Final, with Borrisoaken taking on Lorrha.And Kildangan are up against Nenagh Éire Óg in the North U21 A Hurling Final in Dolla, with throw-in there at two o’ clock. In Ardfinnan it’s Aherlow Gaels up against Moyle Rovers, while Leahy Park in Cashel is the venue for the meeting of Cahir and Éire Óg Anacarty/Donohill.Éire Óg manager Kevin Fox says that injuries may affect them against good opposition todayBoth games will throw-in at 2:00, as will the Senior Football Relegation tie between Moycarkey-Borris and Fethard in Boherlahan.last_img read more

Read More →

Purple & Bold: Can Lakers push through adversity as they said they would?

first_imgMore ReadingHappy New Year from the usual suspects – Mark Heisler channels some key figures.Pressing issues – A look at what needs solving, fast.What Whicker saw on Christmas – “… the Lakers’ offense devolved into three onlookers waiting for James and Anthony Davis to invent something.”Taking stock – How the Lakers and Clippers stack up in building title contenders.This one was frustrating – You could see it in the shreds of paper LeBron James was holding.How James kept his streak alive – The King now has played in 13 consecutive Christmas Day games.Frank Vogel and Paul George have a special bond – “But on Christmas Day … he’s the enemy, I guess. The Clippers are.”More Heisler – “The Lakers are no longer a worst-case scenario … just the opposite. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREUCLA alum Kenny Clark signs four-year contract extension with Packers“Soon enough, adversity is probably gonna hit,” said Anthony Davis back on Nov. 21, when the Lakers were 12-2. “And we’re gonna go through a stretch where something is happening. And we prepared for that.”“We have intelligent, veteran guys,” coach Frank Vogel said then of his roster, the NBA’s second-oldest, at 29.07 years. “The tone has been and the stage has been set for working to achieve positive chemistry and togetherness throughout the whole season, through the ups and downs … the expectation is to pull together when we face it.”The Laker will do better facing the more-discordant music together if they can clean up some problem areas, including – as Kyle Goon flushed out in Thursday’s postmortem report of the Christmas defeat – finding a way to get all the way into their halfcourt sets.And if they’re going to resort to settling for 3-pointers, it would help if they shot better than 12 for 45 (26.7%), as they did against the Clippers, or the 31.5% they’ve shot from distance over their past eight games.Continued production from Kuzma – who scored 25 points Wednesday after accounting for 16 the game before – will help, as well. Editor’s note: This is the Saturday, Dec. 28 edition of the Purple & Bold Lakers newsletter. To receive the newsletter in your inbox, sign up here.Snoop got fired up, Lakers Twitter found itself collectively trying to decode Kyle Kuzma’s tweets and the team itself – which successfully spaced three losses loosely amid 24 games to start the season – suddenly finds itself hoping to avoid losing a fifth consecutive game to end 2019.Yes, with LeBron James and Anthony Davis less than 100%, the going is tougher – but the Lakers told you this might happen, and they also told you they’d be tough enough to weather some inclement results.This upcoming stretch – with a game at Portland (14-18) tonight, followed by a five-game homestand starting with contests against Western Conference foes Dallas (20-10), Phoenix (11-19) and New Orleans (9-23) on deck – will give the Lakers an opportunity to prove their mettle. So, too, will the faith that the Lakers claimed to have stored for just this occasion, as Davis said: “We got a lot of veteran guys who been through tons of adversity throughout their careers, and mentally preparing guys for it. We have a veteran coaching staff as well that’s been through it, and we try to make sure that we stay ready for it.”— Mirjam SwansonEditor’s note: Thanks for reading the Purple & Bold newsletter. Receive it in your inbox, sign up here. Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Errorlast_img read more

Read More →

NHL free agency: Rangers bring back Pavel Buchnevich, avoid arbitration

first_imgThe New York Rangers became the latest NHL team to avoid salary arbitration hearings this offseason when they agreed to terms with restricted free-agent winger Pavel Buchnevich on Friday night.New York did not disclose the terms of their deal with the 24-year-old Buchnevich, but CapFriendly reports it is for two years and an average annual value (AAV) of $3.25 million. Buchnevich tallied 38 points in his third season with the Rangers, including a career-high 21 goals, in 2018-19. He also had a career-best seven-game point streak from March 16-31. He finished with 43 points (14-29-43) in the 2017-18 season.NHL FREE AGENCY 2019: Jordan Binnington, Danton Heinen, Jacob Trouba among 40 to file for salary arbitrationThe Blueshirts were already over the $81.5 million salary cap prior to signing Buchnevich, so general manager Jeff Gorton will have plenty of work to do during the remainder of the offseason.last_img read more

Read More →

Chopped woman recovering well

first_imgLa Penitence stabbingThe 31-year-old mother of five who was chopped multiples times by her estranged husband on Sunday morning, is recovering comfortably at the Georgetown Public Hospital.At approximately 10:30h on Sunday, Wanita Heralall bumped into her ex-husband, identified only as ‘Buckman’ of Anna Regina New Housing Scheme, Region Two, (Pomeroon-Supenaam), Essequibo Coast, after she left her Lot 8 Liang Avenue, Georgetown, home to commence her usual market shopping.Speaking to Guyana Times on Monday, Heralall related that her youngest child was in the company of his father “Buckman” when she ran into him at the market, She explained that the man asked the child if he wanted to speak to her and the child indicated that he did not.“He ask the lil boy if he wan talk to me and the lil bai shake his head ‘no’. So I turn and seh if the lil bai don’t wanna talk to me, I don’t wanna talk to him or his father because I don’t want no problem,” she said.Heralall relayed that “Buckman” subsequently left after she explained that she did not want any problems with him.However, the woman’s estranged husband returned as she was approaching the bicycle she rode to the market, and grabbed her left hand.“I turn around fuh walk to get my bicycle and leave because I know how he stay. So by time I coulda reach my bicycle, he come from behind me and he grab this hand and stretch it out and seh come here, I wan talk to you. I said no. And as I said no, he start chopping,” she recapped.According to Heralall, the accused then swung one chop to her head, bashing her over the right eye. The man then shouted to her, “don’t scream!” and forcefully pinned the woman’s hand down before hacking at it several times between the elbow and wrist.With the woman’s mangled hand barely hanging on, the angered Essequibian allegedly told her to “take your hand and move from here.”Meanwhile, in a bid to escape, the man tried running through the crowd, only to be captured and dealt a thorough beating before being turned over to the Ruimveldt Police Station.According to Heralall, she had been married to the accused for 12 years and endured domestic abuse for the sake of her children.She stated that many reports were made by her against “Buckman” but the Police were always negligent. The woman said she consumed poison on three occasions, with the most recent being in June of 2015, hoping that her ex-husband would change his abusive behaviour towards her.However, when this proved futile, she ran away from the home in October of 2015 and came to Georgetown where she resides with her reputed husband, Dharmindra Phagoo.Phagoo and Heralall are well known to the market vendors and people in the community, since they operate a snackette in Industrial Site, Ruimveldt, and go to the market on a daily basis.This publication understands that the perpetrator had travelled to the capital city nearly one week ago with the intention of harming the woman.Heralall was admitted to the GPH on Sunday after the incident left her with an almost severed arm.“Buckman” is still in police custody assisting with investigations.last_img read more

Read More →

Clean Energy Funding

first_imgDespite the current economic hard times the BC government has come up with another 20 million dollars, for so-called remote communities, to encourage and support sustainable clean energy systems.In making the announcement, Energy Minister Richard Neufeld said any communities, which don’t already have a community energy plan are eligible for the funding.They can also apply for assistance, to support clean energy and energy efficiency projects.- Advertisement -The program provides funding for capital costs, as well as project studies, design and management.It also includes the distribution of energy savings kits to homes in remote communities and, distribution is expected to start this week.last_img

Read More →

Police seek pair suspected of preying on elderly

first_imgHe said no threats or weapons are used and no one has been hurt so far. “Unless you have called for the repair, don’t let anybody into your home,” Mena advised. Authorities describe one burglar as about 30 years old, 6-feet and 175 pounds. He has brown and brown eyes and appears clean-shaven The other is 40 to 50 years old, 5-feet-5 and 250 pounds. He is heavy-set with black hair and brown eyes. Anyone with any information is asked to call West Covina Police at (626) 939-8510. bethania.palma@sgvn.com (626) 962-8811, Ext. 2236160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! West Covina police Lt. Pete Mena said the suspects, described as white or Latino men, pose as repairmen and convince victims work needs to be done in their backyards. “It’s very much a decoy situation,” Mena said. “They’re really taking advantage of these people.” Authorities said that while one suspect takes the senior citizens outside to see alleged repairs, “the other goes and ransacks the house.” Hundreds of dollars in cash and jewelry are usually stolen, he said. Mena said all victims are over the age of 60 and live either alone or with a spouse, and the burglars leave the home before the crime has been discovered. By Bethania Palma Staff Writer Police are looking for two male suspects who have robbed elderly residents in a string of San Gabriel Valley home burglaries. Six burglaries occurred in West Covina, Baldwin Park, La Verne and Glendora between March 3 and April 24, three of them in West Covina, authorities said. The men are also suspected of similar crimes in Orange County. last_img read more

Read More →

Jurgen Klopp has injected new-found ‘freedom’ at resurgent Liverpool, says ex-Reds midfielder

first_imgLiverpool have a new-found ‘freedom’ thanks to Jurgen Klopp, former Reds midfielder Danny Murphy has told talkSPORT.The Reds ran riot at Premier League title favourites Manchester City on Saturday evening, claiming their first win at the Eithad since 2008 with a comprehensive 4-1 win.Liverpool have taken eight points from Klopp’s first five tricky league games at the helm since succeeding Brendan Rodgers, and Murphy feels the German’s influence has been crucial in revitalising the team.“The one word that I think when you look at Liverpool now is freedom. They all look freed up to make mistakes and just play,” Murphy told the Sports Breakfast.“That third goal they scored at City [Roberto Firmino’s strike] was a goal full of confidence, creativity and endeavour.“It had everything, that goal, and long may it continue.“I like his [Klopp’s] positivity and the way he speaks. Everything he says is positive.”The win reignited Liverpool’s hopes of a top-four finish, and perhaps beyond, this season, but Murphy wants to temper expectations given the shortage of time Klopp has been in charge.He added: “I’ve seen a lot of performances like that in the past when Brendan Rodgers was manager when they seemed to get it right. But the Chelsea and Man City wins away from home deserve credit.“You can’t get too carried away just yet because it is short term. He [Klopp] needs to prove himself long term.”last_img read more

Read More →

Second arrest linked to Ferrari crash in Malibu

first_img AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREOregon Ducks football players get stuck on Disney ride during Rose Bowl event Eriksson, 44, has pleaded not guilty. His associate arrested Wednesday, Carl Johan Freer, 35, is accused of showing a badge to indicate he was a deputy commissioner of the San Gabriel Valley Transit Authority, which would allow him to buy a .44-caliber handgun without the required background checks because he was a sworn officer, authorities said. The transit agency provides free transportation for the disabled in the suburbs east of Los Angeles, and Eriksson also was a commissioner with a badge. Freer, who worked with Eriksson at Gizmondo, was booked for investigation of perjury, a felony, and he was released without bail “pending further investigation because he is cooperating with law enforcement,” Whitmore said Thursday. Freer’s attorney denied any wrongdoing. LOS ANGELES (AP) — Detectives made a second arrest in connection with the crash of a rare Ferrari on a coastal highway in Malibu two months ago. A former associate of the Swedish businessman accused of crashing the $1 million Enzo Ferrari was arrested Wednesday for posing as a police officer to buy a gun, sheriff’s spokesman Steve Whitmore said. Stefan Eriksson, accused of causing the crash, was expected in court Thursday for a preliminary hearing. Prosecutors were expected to present evidence in their case against Eriksson, a former executive with the European video game company Gizmondo, who is charged with embezzlement, grand theft, drunken driving and weapons charges. “This is the result of a misunderstanding over the purchase of a gun, which we hope to resolve in the coming days,” attorney Michael B. Miller said in a statement. “At no time did Mr. Freer misrepresent himself to a gun shop.” Investigators seized 16 weapons, including the handgun, during a search at Freer’s home in Bel-Air and his yacht docked at Marina del Rey, Whitmore said. The case stems from the Feb. 21 crash of a Ferrari Enzo — one of only 400 made — which slammed into a pole on Pacific Coast Highway while traveling at an estimated 162 mph. The vehicle was destroyed; Eriksson survived the crash with just a cut lip. The accident triggered an investigation when Eriksson told police he was only a passenger in the car, described as part of his collection, and that the driver was a German acquaintance he knew only as Dietrich who ran into the hills after the crash. Prosecutors contend that Dietrich never existed and that Eriksson was behind the wheel with a blood-alcohol level above the legal limit. They also accuse Eriksson of bringing the Ferrari and the rest of a $3.8 million car collection to the United States even though he had only leased them from British financial institutions. The lease contract prohibited him from taking the vehicles out of Great Britain, authorities say. Investigators were also trying to figure out why a gun confiscated during a raid at Eriksson’s Bel-Air home was registered to Roger A. Davis, a Newport Beach businessman and deputy with the Orange County sheriff’s professional services reserve division.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!last_img read more

Read More →